Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Teacher Leadership Interview 1

1. I like to help out my fellow teachers!


2. I think that teacher leadership means that an educator is not only a positive leader in their classroom for their students, but also for the teachers in their school and district, for the community, and should act as an education advocate on all levels from their class all the way up to the national level.

3. School: I started a youth cheerleading program for 1st-5th grade students at my school (I volunteered to begin the program.), I began a Pennies for Peace drive to support the Central Asia Institute in my classroom (this was something else I volunteered to begin), I volunteered to lead our school's social committee for next year. I enjoy helping my fellow teachers with technology questions, planning and organizing questions, or anything else they may need.

District: I volunteered to be a part of the math and science curriculum adoption committees this year. I am now the SHS cheerleading coach (it is a paid role.)

Community: Youth cheerleading and high school cheerleading programs, work at the YMCA and facilitate their summer day camp programs (this is a paid role.)

4. I think a good example of leading is the way our new superintendent is remaining positive and helpful in our bargaining for next school year. Even though many employees were laid off this past month, he is negotiating and trying his best to maintain programs and re-employ those teachers. He does this by working collaboratively with our union's executive team and keeping a positive outlook.



Another great example is a fellow teacher in my building. She is the secretary for our union and always gives me really good advice about lessons planning and classroom management. I know that if I have a question she will be there to answer it or help me answer it. She gives me great advice and I can ask advice at any time.

5. I think I like to lead on occasion because I really like to help people. It is one of the main reasons I became a teacher. I was inspired to continue coaching and teaching cheerleading by the great success of the program and positive feedback from the community, staff, kids, and parents at Sublimity.

6. I really enjoy hearing other's ideas. I think that working collaboratively is the best approach. Because of this I think that leadership roles should be varied. If one person is always the leader then no one else will have the opportunity to lead.

7. I have always wanted to be a teacher. When I was in elementary school I still remember being so excited to go to school and learn. I loved visiting the local teacher supply store and I could see myself teaching. I am love being creative and sharing ideas with others. I also think that hanging out with kids is really rewarding. I always get so excited to head back to school. Fall is my favorite time of the year!

8. School culture is the "vibe" of the school. Parents, students, and faculty contribute to this vibe. I think Sublimity Elementary has a wonderful school culture. Everyone at our school (parents, students, and faculty) is always smiling, helping each other, and working hard. I think that when those three groups work together and do it in a positive (I keep saying that word) way, the school culture just feels right. When the school culture feels right then a school can flourish. When kids and parents believe in the faculty then the school will succeed. I think you have to have a positive staff and administration. Faculty members need to have a common goal of helping kids and being successful. You also have to have fun doing it. Communication is also really important.

9. I think if people want to get involved then they should just volunteer and not be afraid to get involved. Usually administrators get really excited when you want to start a program to help kids or teachers or the community. To inspire them I would show them all of the cool ways you can get involved and how excited people get by these programs.

10. Administration is HUGE in teacher leadership. If an admin. is negative and likes to micro-manage the school, then no one will feel right helping out. When the admin. is supportive and helpful then teachers will feel comfortable taking a leadership position.

11. I keep a file in my email account with positive emails and read them whenever something negative happens. I also like to reward kids or make positive phone calls home when I am feeling down.

12. Someone gave me good advice when I first started teaching. He said "work hard and play hard." That is what I do. I work really hard at school but I also love to play hard. I like to visit my family in Washington, travel, exercise, watch movies, etc. I also think it is really important to have a strong support system in your family. Relaxation is really important too. I love bubble baths and walking. It helps alleviate a lot of stress!



I hope this helps and my thoughts weren't too random!

No comments:

Post a Comment