Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Teacher Leadership Interview 3

1. Why did you decide to take this interview for me?
Because my teaching job is very important to me and I think we all learn from what others have to say and because I think it’s very interesting.
2. How would you define teacher leadership?
Being a positive role model in the classroom and out of the classroom and helping to teach the students how to be good people and about life skills. So many of them don’t get that at home. Being a leader and involved in the decision making of our school is important because how good the school is ultimately affects the students and staff.
3. What contributions have you made as a teacher leader in your school, district, and community?

My school, Schofield Middle School, opened ten years ago and since we opened my Madrigal Singers have been responsible for community performances in the Las Vegas / Henderson area. They perform for the Grand Opening nights for the following 4 Christmas caroling events every fall: Gift of Lights in Sunset Park, Ethel M. Chocolate Factory Cactus Garden Lighting, Henderson Symphony performance and the Henderson Winter Fest Christmas tree lighting with the mayor – all 4 of these events are televised so it is great exposure for our school (active in our community) and for choral music in the school district and State of Nevada. If voters and legislative members hear about us, see us around town or on TV that is a good thing!
I have also been the chairperson for the Clark County School District Middle School Honor Choir for the past 10 years and chairperson for the Nevada Music Educators Association Middle School All-State Choir for the past 5 years. I like doing this for my colleagues and their students. I get to meet other students and awesome clinicians/conductors who come and work with the choirs. Again, great connections too!
How did you become involved in making these contributions (volunteering, required by administrator, paid role, etc.)?
The performances started out as a directive to get involved with the community to help make a name for our school. I have kept it up because we have made great connections and the students and I enjoy following through every year. I don’t get paid extra at all for the performances – I don’t mind spending this time with the kids – they are a great bunch.
4. What are some examples of good leading (students, classroom, teachers, support staff, parents, community, etc.)?
What I mentioned above in the first part of the question.
5. What inspires and/or encourages you to lead? Are there any specific experiences that have inspired/encouraged you?
I like to help others and I don’t expect anything from doing it. I love to see when students and other teachers “get it” and you can see that you’ve inspired another person in your field of education.
6. What hinders you from leading? Can you describe any experiences where you were hindered from leading?
No, I have been very fortunate to not be hindered. I make things happen 
7. Why did you become a teacher or become involved with the school system?
I like meeting people and I love music – music is my life and also what my license plate says  I like teaching at the middle school level because I feel that I can still get through to them and teach them many things besides music. I’ve taught high school too and they are already set in their ways. I believe that the more involved you are the more you learn and the more you know about your field.
8. How would you define "school culture"? How important is school culture in creating an effective learning environment? What factors affect school culture negatively and positively?
School culture is the atmosphere, aesthetic, comfort level and the feeling you get when you enter a school. This is very important while trying to create an effective learning environment. Our school participates in a new program called “Be Kind”. If a student is caught being kind, they receive a wristband and a t-shirt celebrating the life of a young boy, Josh, who died. Josh felt that kindness was the biggest thing missing in kids. He was always trying to spread kindness to others.
9. What advice would you give teachers (or other members of the school community) who want to become more involved in teacher leadership? How might you inspire them?
You have to love what you do, otherwise you aren’t an inspiring leader to others. Students can see right through a teacher who doesn’t and those are the teachers that you ‘hear’ them talk or complain about 

10. How does the administration at your school affect teacher leadership?

We have a principal that has been with us for the past 3 years now and he has totally changed the overall moral and culture. Administrative support is crucial for everyone – parents, students and the teachers. If you’re not happy at work, the students are going to be, the parents aren’t going to be…

11. How do you deal with negativity at your school?

I smile and do my best to ignore when I hear of anything – I stay away from those teachers too. Luckily there isn’t much at our school. Our leadership doesn’t put up with it and by fluke, negative teachers don’t stay at our school 

12. How do balance your personal and professional responsibilities?

I didn’t start a family to ignore them and I always keep in mind that work is work and it should stay there. It will be waiting for me the next day. My spouse is a choral music teacher just like me and we understand the business of the job and that choral music takes a little more time than other teaching fields. We always work out performance schedules, school schedules and other things way ahead of time so we don’t get stressed or have conflicting events. We are very supportive of each other’s choral programs that are very dear to us both. We allow each other the time to strengthen it, which makes home life very comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment