Saturday, July 17, 2010

Teacher Leader Interview 7

1. Why did you decide to take this interview for me?


Because you are a friend and you asked. Also, it is something that I was involved in and can help you to get an assignment done.



2. How would you define teacher leadership?

Teacher leadership can be seen in many different ways. One is just the invidual in their classroom taking on the extra responsibilities of being a teacher. They might take classes, attend meetings (school, district and community) and go the extra mile for their students or grade level team. Teachers can also be involved in leadership more formally at their school if they have a leadership team. This team many be responsible for the everyday in and outs of school. The master schedule, events, times, instructional programs, staff requirements, activities that the school creates, testing, community outreach and many more.



3. What contributions have you made as a teacher leader in your school, district, and community? How did you become involved in making these contributions (volunteering, required by administrator, paid role, etc.)? I was asked to be a part of the leadership team, but I believe that is because I often take on extra roles and do things on my own. This year the role was 1/2 paid for but in previous years it was volunteer. I have been on some sort of leadership team for the past three years. By being a part of this team, I have helped plan activities, communicate with the community, create the master schedule, work on school wide plans (incentives, behavior, rewards) I have worked on two committees to write two grants. I have attended lots of meetings where I get new information and bring it back to the school and eventually the teachers.



4. What are some examples of good leading (students, classroom, teachers, support staff, parents, community, etc.)? Getting the community and families involved in things at school. Creating literacy, math and science nights. Having carnivals and using community members to assist and support these events. Supporting the needs of the students, teachers and community with each choice and decision that we make. Thinking about if it is best for kids. Reflecting on how it impacts students and teachers. Assisting teachers with implementation and supporting what ever decision was made.



5. What inspires and/or encourages you to lead? Are there any specific experiences that have inspired/encouraged you? I just really enjoy being in the know. I love to have information and being able to share that information with everyone. I also like to hear a variety of ideas and have discussions that lead to final decsions. Often times I feel that my input is often something new or outside of the box. I am encouraged when I see things that the team has done put into place. I like when there is a positive impact on students, teachers and our community.



6. What hinders you from leading? Can you describe any experiences where you were hindered from leading? Sometimes I don't want to be the one with all the ideas or the one who decides on everything. I would like to hear everyone elses ideas and see if there is something new that I have never thought about. Often times I try to wait to give my opinion or idea until everyone else has expressed theirs. Sometimes other staff see me as someone who knows it all or who is the only one who requiring changes or something new. This makes me feel bad and that it was not a whole team decision.



7. Why did you become a teacher or become involved with the school system? I love kids. I have also had a some amazing teachers when I was growing up. They showed me what a difference I can make, because they made it with me. As I have taught for 7 years now, I enjoy learning something new all the time. I really like that no day is the same, even if you are teaching the same grade or lesson, students make your days and lessons go in different ways everytime. Teaching is new and exciting every year.



8. How would you define "school culture"? How important is school culture in creating an effective learning environment? What factors affect school culture negatively and positively? The culture of the school is made up by the, staff, students and community. It takes their behavior, attitudes and commitment into account. School culture is extreemly important to the effectiveness of a school. Without the belief in students and the impact that each of those groups has on the school the school can not be successful. If anyone of those groups has a bad attitude they can be like poision and pulled down the rest of the school community. But it also works in the inverse way, where their positive attitudes can pull everyone up and create a better learning and teaching environment.



9. What advice would you give teachers (or other members of the school community) who want to become more involved in teacher leadership? How might you inspire them? I would just tell them to start somewhere. If it be little, in their classrooms or with thier own child or just giving up sometime to be involved in something for the school. By getting involved in leadership, you can really have an impact on your school. You can have a voice in things that are done and not done and have the opportunity to change it all.



10. How does the administration at your school affect teacher leadership? The administrator plays a key role in all leadership, because it is they who have the ability to give the go a head or hold back with any idea. It is their job to help facilitate the leadership team and give them the power and ability to get new ideas heard and put things into place. With out the support and communication of an administrator, all the work on the leadership team may be a loss.



11. How do you deal with negativity at your school? Listen, to allow people to vent about their feelings or emotions. Then talk with them about why they are feeling that way and try to solve the situation, by talking with others or speaking my own opinion. Other times I just ingnore the negativity. It really depends on who it is coming from, often times you know that it will always be from the same people and there is nothing you can do or say to help the situation or make them feel better.



12. How do balance your personal and professional responsibilities? I try to get my work done while I am at work. I spend my time very thoughtfully, so that I don't have to bring things home. But I also value that sometimes there are things that need to be worked on outside the school day. After school activities I invite my friends and family to attend, not only to support my school, but so I can spend time with them. I also utilize my family to help with easy tasks that I can't complete at home. But overall I just use my time as wisely as possible, so that I have as much time with my personal life as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment