Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Teacher Leadership Interview 2

1. Why did you decide to take this interview for me? I know how hard it can be to go back to school again after already being out of school for awhile. I wanted to help out a friend with her homework!




2. How would you define teacher leadership? Teacher leadership is when one can help get everyone involved, keep the peace, set a good example, or be someone whom others ask for advice or share their problems with. It is someone who is willing to listen and try to help come up with feasible solutions to a variety of problems, both personal and professional.



3. What contributions have you made as a teacher leader in your school, district, and community? How did you become involved in making these contributions (volunteering, required by administrator, paid role, etc.)? A few years ago I was a building representative for my school on the teacher's association board. I would go to association meetings to represent my school's thoughts and then report back to my school about important parts of the meetings and decisions made. Next year I will be in charce of the Sunshine committee at our school. This committee organizes and coordinates all community building events for our school like potlucks, baby/bridal showers, Christmas and Valentine staff parties, secretary/principal appreciation days, etc. I volunteered for the Sunshine committee, but the building representative position just goes to whoever is newest in the building.



4. What are some examples of good leading (students, classroom, teachers, support staff, parents, community, etc.)? Good leaders know how to keep the peace and appease parents. They set good examples for, and inspire, their students. A good leader is a person on the staff that others can talk to and feel safe talking to. Also, a good leader volunteers to help with special after school activities, or different events in the community or town. A good leader is definitely someone with a good "public face", if you understand what I mean. Sets a good example for others who see them out and about in the community, like being above reproach morally.



5. What inspires and/or encourages you to lead? Are there any specific experiences that have inspired/encouraged you? I am a very organized and confident person. In my early career, I was not very confident, so I would not have wanted to lead at all. The more confidence I gain, the more I speak my opinions and try to lead others to the best of my ability. The fact that parents trust me with their children and know they are in good hands makes me feel more confident. Having a good reputation among the staff, students and community also builds up confidence to be a good leader. Finally, I have one special set of parents who have said, "You're the best teacher any of my kids have ever had." I've had their children for three years in a row and they specifically request me each year. This helps me believe and trust that I am good at what I do...which helps me lead others.



6. What hinders you from leading? Can you describe any experiences where you were hindered from leading? One big thing that has hindered me from leading is the fact that I am young and fairly new to teaching. Most teachers, in my district, have been teaching for 15-20 years by now. I have found that teachers who have taught for a long time have a difficult time believing that the "new fangled ideas" that young teachers have nowdays, or are taught in college, have any meaning or are of any importance at all. Some teachers get offended by younger teachers who have an opinion or a different way of doing things. This is especially hard when this "different" way turns out to be more successful than what they currently do. Sometimes these teachers do not listen to the younger ones or see them as not knowing any better. When I give my opinion about things we do in the school, or in staff meetings, others sometimes argue with me. Even the other first grade teacher does occasionally. It discourages me from speaking up or sharing a different way of doing things.



7. Why did you become a teacher or become involved with the school system? Well, the easiest answer is...I love kids. It is not an easy job and I would not be heading into my ninth year of teaching if I did not like it. Also, the days off are pretty good, but much needed!



8. How would you define "school culture"? How important is school culture in creating an effective learning environment? What factors affect school culture negatively and positively? School culture is very important to the success of the school. It is a feeling of pride at being associated with the school. It is aslo a feeling of wanting to be there, both for staff and students. It is a safe, caring environment. School and staff want to take care of their building and each other in a positive school environment. If students do not feel safe, secure, happy and proud of their school, they will not want to be there, which, in turn, means they will not learn anything. Teachers, who would also not want to be there, would be doing the bare minimum to keep their job and not be teaching much of anything to their students. The things that positively affect school culture are: pride, safety, getting along (both staff and students), and caring. Things that negatively affect the school culture are: gossip, badmouthing the school, kids, or staff members when you are out in the community where others can hear, fights amongst staff, staff and parents, staff and students, staff and administration, etc. Also, a big one, degrading and talking down to students.



9. What advice would you give teachers (or other members of the school community) who want to become more involved in teacher leadership? How might you inspire them? In order to change what you don't like, or to help make something better, do something about it. Become involved and outspoken. Try to volunteer or start committees in order to make the school a better place, or to change children's lives.



10. How does the administration at your school affect teacher leadership? If the administration does not support the staff and teachers in dealings with parents, kids, other staff, and the superintendent, then everyone becomes disillusioned. They will want to keep to themselves and just survive. They will not want to make waves or get involved in anything. The administration is a huge piece of school culture and climate as well as staff, parent, and student happiness and overall feelings of the school. Trust me...I've had poor administrators and wonderful administrators. It makes all the difference!



11. How do you deal with negativity at your school? It is very hard not to get sucked into all the negativity that can be associated with a school. It is important to find a core group of friends, usually among the staff, who will listen and support you. Sometimes you need to vent, but make sure you are doing it to people you can trust! Try to find the positive side of a negative situation and if you really don't like something--try to change it!



12. How do balance your personal and professional responsibilities? I don't have a family at home and not much to take care of at home, so my professional responsibilites tend to take over my life during the school year. But, I do go in early every day (about 1 1/2 hours early) to get everything done for the day, or week. I stay very organized and try to creae fun. I get done on time and get paperwork done as soon as possible so I'm not waiting until deadlines to get it finished. It makes time for me to be able to enjoy my students rather than worry about the "business" side of teaching. I go in early every day so that I can leave early and go home. It is important to leave things at school that need to be left there. I very rarely bring anything home to work on. I specifically try not to take anything home. That way I can just relax and do what I would like to do at home and not worry or think about school stuff. It is hard for teachers to separate these two lives, but I do separate them the best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment