Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Teacher Leader Interview 8

Teacher Leader Interview



1. Why did you decide to take this interview for me? I took the interview because I currently have the time in my schedule and I believe that some of the best learning comes from sharing ideas and collaborating with others.

2. How would you define teacher leadership? Teacher leadership can be taken on inside and outside the classroom. Teacher leaders can help revolutionize education by creating change in their classroom/school and by directly or indiretly influencing district and government policy.

3. What contributions have you made as a teacher leader in your school, district, and community? How did you become involved in making these contributions (volunteering, required by administrator, paid role, etc.)? I served as a cooperating teacher (Las Vegas) and as a mentor to three music teachers and two art teachers (Wisconsin). I became involved in both these roles after an administrator requested my participation. The cooperating teacher role was a paid role.

4. What are some examples of good leading (students, classroom, teachers, support staff, parents, community, etc.)? What challenges have you observed or experienced in these leadership roles? I believe that good leaders lead by example. Good leaders guide and do not control. Good leaders help others capitalize on their strengths and identify their weaknesses. I also believe that good leaders inspire. They inspire others to do more and be more than they ever imagined. Good leaders listen and think before they speak or act.

5. What inspires and/or encourages you to lead? Are there any specific experiences that have inspired/encouraged you? I would have to say that most of my inspiration to lead has been fostered by administrators. Sometimes it takes someone elses vote of confidence to inspire you to take on something outside your comfort zone.

6. What hinders you from leading? Can you describe any experiences where you were hindered from leading? I have a fear of public speaking so I seem to stray away from leadership roles that involve speaking to large adult groups. Most of my leadership roles have been one-on-one or small group, situations that I feel more comfortable/confident with.

7. Why did you become a teacher or become involved with the school system? I became a teacher because I enjoy sharing my passion for art and learning. Also, I think teaching is in my genes. My mother was an administrator, my older brother is a science teacher/tennis coach, and my younger brother is a tennis instructor.

8. How would you define "school culture"? How important is school culture in creating an effective learning environment? What factors affect school culture negatively and positively? School culture is the environment, climate, beliefs, values and traditions of a school. I believe that school culture is incredibly important in creating an effective learning environment. I believe that peoples’ attitudes have the greatest impact on a school’s culture. I’ve personally experienced an instance where a change of attitude was my saving grace. Participation and lack of participation can affect school culture. I’ve experience an instance where lack of parental participation had a negative impact on the school’s culture. The students’ attitudes about education were negatively affected by their parents lack of particiation.

9. What advice would you give teachers (or other members of the school community) who want to become more involved in teacher leadership? How might you inspire them?

To get the US school system turned around it’s going to take a team effort. Bright, talented, creative, and passionate individuals (most teachers I know fit that bill ) are going to have to step out of their comfort zones and become leaders. “Be the change you want to see in the world” -Gandhi

10. How does the administration at your school affect teacher leadership? I’ll have to think back to my experience in Wisconsin. The administration in WI had a great affect on teacher leadership. They created many opportunities for teachers to take on leadership roles. One instance was a mentoring program where new teachers were paired with veteran teachers. They met once a month to a month to housekeep, brainstorm, share, and vent. Another instance was a team leader program. Every two grades were “teamed” together and met once a week. A veteran teacher of the group was chosen to lead the team and would facilitate team planning, etc. They were also asked to sponsor/ organize three school events during the year.

11. How do you deal with negativity at your school? I pretty much try to ignore any negativity. If I can’t ignore it then sometimes I’ll try to put a different spin on it. I’ve been told that I play the devil’s advocate a lot 

12. How do balance your personal and professional responsibilities? Mark is very good about leaving his professional responsibilities at work. I’ve tried to adopt this philosophy  I think that if you are successful in leaving your prof. responsibilities at work, then you can create a division (physically and mentally) which will allow you to fully engage and enjoy you personal responsibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment